Sunday, February 14, 2010

How Much Fun Can We Have?


"Visible Thinking" is very much a part of quality art education practices, related to Harvard's "Project Zero", and very reminiscent of my old critique weeks at CIA. Making art meaningful and making art fun are not mutually exclusive, and therein lies the "art of teaching". Lately, we have been having a lot of fun in the art room, and I hope the meaning-making has been embedded with the art creation. Last week, a student told me that I was a "really nice art teacher", and on asking why, replied "Because you REALLY plan!" (I was up to my elbows in "shaving cream marbleizing" at the time)... This year has been one of the most creative and most fun yet, but I'm already thinking about next year, asking myself, "How much fun can we have?" The picture is from fifth grade, when I opened our "castle unit" up to options like "Outsider Art".'

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Sketchbook Project

The Sketchbook Project: 2011

About Me

My photo

The journey of process intrigues me and I am always changing it up.

Search This Blog