Thursday, July 1, 2010

Chapter Reflection: Powerful Learning

I'm a very fast reader, but I took my time with the introduction and first chapter because I agreed with so much of the content, and saw many parallels to what I try to do in my art room. Insights from the intro: Today's worker will hold more than ten jobs before the age of forty and that new technical information is doubling every two years, and predicted to double every 72 hours by 2010. So, how can we continue to educate the same old way? We should use inquiry-based methods and a meta-cognitive approach.Insights from chapter 1 ("How Can We Teach for Meaningful Learning?"):firstly, multiple research projects prove the efficacy of meaning-oriented teaching for all students, not just for high-achievers; challenges include time, but also teachers need to carefully design scaffolds, make the tasks meaningful, and engage the students in "cognitive apprenticeship". So much of what I read was how I try to teach, or want to teach, my biggest limitation is time sequence (elementary art once a week for 45 minutes). I do find the issue of balancing "creating time" against "reflecting and discussion time" a problem, tending to give as much time as possible to creative process. Most of the projects discussed were group projects, which I love, but students want their own art to take home, too, another issue. 2 truths from pages 68, 69: "focus on process and tasks that allow students to see prowess not as a fixed trait but as a dynamic state that is primarily a function of the level of effort..." & "(PBL)practices are grounded in a conception of learning as developmental and a belief that all students will learn from experience and feedback, rather than being constrained by ability."

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Sketchbook Project

The Sketchbook Project: 2011

About Me

My photo

The journey of process intrigues me and I am always changing it up.

Search This Blog