Saturday, December 18, 2010

The Gourmet Papier Mache/Site Tabbing

Dan Reeder started out as a teacher, but his passion for papier mache developed into a whole different career. His site (see title link), replete with videos, galleries, links, is fun and informative (his specialty is creatures like monsters, and especially, dragons.) My favorite video he has posted is a 5 minute talk for “Ignite” in Seattle, which is on the main page, lower left. Most of the videos he has seem to be age-appropriate for elementary, but always preview first to be sure.My third graders are doing papier mache puppets, and we started with a cool timeline activity I developed for the SB. Who knew that they found ancient Egyptian wood puppets that could knead bread? Well, my 3rd graders do now, and I even found the picture of it (after much research)!
Also, here is a quick link to a k-12 art mix on Symbaloo (thanks, M.G.). Symbaloo is a visual way to create live tabs for apps and sites on your desktop. From the site:
"What is Symbaloo?
*Discover pages with the best links about a subject
*Create your own pages with favorites
*Share your page with the rest of the world"
...I’m still experimenting with my own tab mix, plus I'm still just a big fan of Delicious bookmarking, arranged by content, and Stumble Upon. Yet, I can see the advantage of being in a rush with a class, and having that one set of tabs just a click away. Just this last Friday, I had all my tabs, SB lessons, and sites loaded for 3 grade levels' worth of art, and my PC suddenly froze and I lost it all. I had to reboot, re-enter passwords, etc. Still, I'm "quick on the draw", and all was restored in a few minutes (luckily, I did not need to set up a lot of supplies in that 5 minute or less turn-around). (FYI-Just read an online post about maximizing your OS, which recommends minimizing your log-in dock goodies, so just be aware that lots of tabs may be OS cloggers)

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Sketchbook Project

The Sketchbook Project: 2011

About Me

My photo

The journey of process intrigues me and I am always changing it up.

Search This Blog