Monday, April 11, 2011

Photoshop Ideas + Visual Thinking

In my quest to engage elementary art students with cool technology, I just found these great tutorials on Vimeo called "Photoshop for Kids" (see post title link). Rotoscoping, PSD “scratch art”, PSD “video art”, etc. So fab and accessible, thank-you Adobe for having Education Leaders! Also, this tech/5th grade teacher does a huge blog of tutorials for all sorts of apps (“Photoshop, iMovie, Final Cut Pro, Flash, and lots of open source “freeware.” These are tutorials and user-friendly, free or cheap resources on how to edit photos and/or videos in a creative way”). Yes!!! Bringing me to the grad class I taught last weekend on “Visual Thinking”. I am fully on-board with the integration of art processes to engage students. It is vital to keeping our students eager to learn in this digital era. I had the honor of facilitating that very concept with a P.E. teacher, Science teacher, Special Education Interventionist, French/Art Teacher, 4th Grade Teacher, & 3 Art Teachers. This diverse group GOT IT, meaning that everyone moved into the synthesis/creativity mode and embraced the value of learning THROUGH the arts. I had so much fun and was impressed with all the integration processes. More integrative resources at http://edexchange.adobe.com/pages/d4178d15ff
Examples---
Geometric Concepts (ages 8–10)
Graph Plotting (ages 8–11)
Marine World Digital Encyclopedia (ages 8–13)
Patterns (ages 6–8)
Plant Growth (ages 9–13)
Visualization of the Atom (ages 11–17)
Volcano Eruption (ages 9–13)

To that end, here’s a quote from one of my favorite “TED talkers”: “My contention is that creativity is now as important in education as literacy, and we should treat it with the same status.”
—Sir Ken Robinson
Almost forgot the Photojojo geniuses came up with a fun kaleidoscope/photo project, HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Sketchbook Project

The Sketchbook Project: 2011

About Me

My photo

The journey of process intrigues me and I am always changing it up.

Search This Blog