Sunday, October 9, 2011

"Flipping" in Art, the Start

I've posted two videos on my school art website for instructional purposes and overall, I think the response has been very positive. In the first case, I posted a value scale video, somewhat jumpy as I was filming with my left hand and drawing with my right, but still, the students really responded to it when we played it before each fourth grade class. They were EXCITED to do value scales! My first thought was, "Don't overdo this technique", and my second thought was, "Awesome resource for students to review at home." Sometimes, there were "Cool!" and "I can't wait to try this!" type responses, and even applause. In the second case, I posted a "Typeface Face/Avatar in PSD" tutorial, which students could access for reinforcement of what they were already doing in class. The "test" group was much smaller, as only students who wanted to design avatars on the computers viewed the tutorial, but still, several students went from beginning proficiency to total mastery in one week. The "Innovative Educator" has some thoughts on reverse instruction, basically calling it "Lecture 2.0." I agree that would be a bad thing, but if reverse instruction is used as a tool, one of many, and is used as a differentiable tool (meaning, some students will love it and use it, other students will want other delivery methods), I am still very much in favor of it. I also made a Voki avatar, so easy and fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Sketchbook Project

The Sketchbook Project: 2011

About Me

My photo

The journey of process intrigues me and I am always changing it up.

Search This Blog