Monday, November 28, 2011

Sketchbooks REdux

We are wrapping up clay in fifth grade and I had students make their own sketchbooks out of cereal boxes (great tutorials on Instructables or ScribD) while we waited for the clay to dry and get bisque-fired. Now we are glazing, and for some reason, these larger sketchbooks resonated with the students and they are into them. So, I'm adjusting my calendar and devoting a few weeks to pure SKETCHBOOKING (best resource yet here). Why did smaller sketchbooks in years past fizzle? Somehow, I think the size matters. Also, next year, I need to get a powerful stapler, because it took all of Thanksgiving break for my wrist to recuperate from helping staple, and we lost four metal staplers in the process. What else is new? The wallet project is humming along nicely as part of my drive to reinforce "Design Thinking". Lots of interesting ideas, plus having students bring in a few items for their wallets has a fun factor for everyone in the class. I think the prototyping stage really helped scaffold the unit, and student wallets needed to relate to their favorite prototype they developed (out of two). I thought we would have to keep an ongoing tutorial about folds, etc., but never needed to because students came up with great folding ideas on their own! I'm including this crazy-cool video Jeanne Bjork made using a turntable and an LED flasher. "Time interval from turning LED on and off is about 0.04s(40ms)", which I am struggling to understand, but now I've got to try it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Sketchbook Project

The Sketchbook Project: 2011

About Me

My photo

The journey of process intrigues me and I am always changing it up.

Search This Blog