Saturday, November 19, 2011

Technology, Teachnology

I've been busy on post-grad work, but also am in the first stages of a possible tech grant-writing team, so the topic on integrating technology is on my mind. A conversation came up about the balance of studio technique with technology on Tricia Fuglestad's lovely blog. Marc Prensky's Technology Adoption Model came up, where he claims teachers go through four steps in adopting a technological innovation in the classroom: 1. Dabbling 2. Doing old things in old ways 3. Doing old things in new ways 4. Doing new things in new ways I do think using Smartboards, iPads, cloud apps, are solidly in #3. I'm aiming for #4. Is it "reverse instruction"? Is it a hybrid of UbD/21st c/"A Whole New Mind" (Daniel Pink)? One thing I know for sure, the larger your professional palette, the more students are engaged. Random thought while driving to pick up one of my kids from a robotics team activity: "Maybe have students film their own art instruction insights." I think that's the next step, possibly addressing Prensky's step #4. You know, Steve Jobs took typography classes in college for fun (old school stuff) and that led to having font choices when we type Docs, so where would we be without his appreciation of fonts? I remember having to render fonts from memory as the graphics professor walked around the studio with menacing comments, now, my students can see typefaces dance in YouTube videos! To me, a much richer experience. In graphics, I suffered to make perfect spirals with black Plaka on carefully gessoed museum board (no brush marks or the curve could "bleed" which the professor could see when they put their magnifying glass on it). Projects were "A" or "F", and redone until they were an "A". Still, I gained a steady "hand" from the experience, but also a loathing of typography rendering. All a moot point now, and years later, we have elementary students making stop-motion animations, thanks to the balance of tech/studio, or rather, "teachnology."

2 comments:

  1. Great thoughts Lois,

    I'm fascinated by the stories of teachers who were trained in an "old school" and now teach in a "new school" way. If teachers don't continue to grow and learn and adapt and experiment and try and explore and stretch...then how can we expect our students to?
    I went to college with an electric typewriter and graduated unable to format my own resume on the computer. But during my first year of teaching I had to help write the new art curriculum on a computer during the weekends at the public library and now I teach art in digital ways on an interactive whiteboard and on iPads, etc.
    Life is challenging and we need to model problem-solving to our students to meet those challenges whether the task is hand-drawn typography or dancing titles in a youtube video.

    Tricia

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so agree, Tricia! I think that's why I like technology so much---because I know how much freedom it can give you (used wisely).

    ReplyDelete

The Sketchbook Project

The Sketchbook Project: 2011

About Me

My photo

The journey of process intrigues me and I am always changing it up.

Search This Blog