Friday, August 16, 2013

STEAM Thoughts

http://www.clohe-movingtoys.eu/www/Home_EN/Home.htm
STEAM: Science, Technology, Engineering, Art, Math. I admit that is a struggle to truly integrate this stuff in a once a week class, for forty-five minutes, with students in grades third through fifth. I was trolling around one of my favorite resources, Art Ed 2.0, and came across a posting on "automata" (see link and image above). It sort of fits into what I would like to do with my robot unit, but I would rather have students come up with their own experiments with the sculpture rather than say, "Everyone use a box and a gear." Still, showing a few of the videos is a very strong jumping off point. Then, there is the technology piece---I am hoping for some robot research led by students, but other than that, I am looking for the right hook. Possibilities: Robot apps? Bring your own device for research? Adobe Illustrator robots? Managing all that choice-based learning? One thing I learned from my Edmodo/tech/programming unit: there will still be a few students who do not want to do anything but draw and paint, and you have to honor their feelings.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Sketchbook Project

The Sketchbook Project: 2011

About Me

My photo

The journey of process intrigues me and I am always changing it up.

Search This Blog